Monday, February 13, 2006

February so Far

Tom Robbins once wrote that February is not a month. It's just a null space of time between January and March, where the world waits for something to happen. Normally, that's true. . . but this year, it's been a whirlwind. Here's some of the stuff that's happened to me:

1. I went to Memphis last week, and had a great time. I saw a few of my high school friends, and we mostly hung out, drank a few beers, watched the Super Bowl, and took the tour at Graceland. A few of us resolved to write a screenplay together, and I plan on riding their asses for the next month until it's done.

2. My first full adventure was published in Dungeon Magazine. I spend the last month in a state of agitation over its release, and am thrilled to see my name in print. I've answered all the standard questions with my gaming group, my friends, and my family. Ironically, now that it's old news, I'm a little sad about it. I had heard of this mourning period before, but I can't remember what it's called.

3. Jackie and I are moving over the next two weeks, to a house five blocks away. It's very exciting, but now it falls to me to do most of the packing and actual moving. It seems that, of the two of us, I have much more free time. It's a great place though, and I can't wait to habitate.

4. In other D&D-related news, there was a recent writer's meeting for Dungeon, where I had contributed 11 original proposals. Last time, I went 3 for 12, which was exhilerating. After improving a number of mundane problems with my presentation and coming up with a few non-conventional plots, I had high expectations. Unfortunately, I went 0 for 11 this time. The good news is that I already have another 5 submitted, and about 3-4 more in process. Based on the feedback, I feel like I know what went wrong. I can climb away from the far-reaching limbs I was on, and get back to basics.

5. I am lowering my expectations for getting a new job. I can't wait tables anymore. Starting tomorrow, I'm going to try for things like data entry, substitute teaching, and many even lawn care. Considering the career I was striving for a year ago, it's pretty unbelievable. But until I start school in August, I don't know what else I can do. Galveston has a double digit unemployment rate, and I'm still not willing to make the hour and a half commute to Houston.

Anyway, that's my news. I didn't shoot anybody while I was hunting or anything, so I hope it kept your attention. :)