Tuesday, November 22, 2005

On Writing - II

I've quit trying to catch up the NaNoWRio novel. I fell so far behind, the idea of catching up is just to daunting. I've started to force it to the point of incomprehensibility. I reread the last paragrpah I wrote, and it was so full of errors and bad grammer, I just said "The hell with it." My final word count right now is around 19,000 words.

I have learned alot though.

1. My idea was too heavy. I had this idea rattling around for awhile, but I think it's just going to require planning and a concrete outline. Back in college, I was told that dialogue is my strength. . . the first three chapters have none. Not one spoken word. It should be restructured to play to my strengths. Plus, a NanNoWriMo novel is the kind of excericse that requires many dynamic characters, who can interact with each other and be immersed in a varied world. My idea tanked because its themes required constructed memory, solitiude, and vast amounts of passing time.

2. I have a screenwriter's mindset. At least right now. I have written a few screenlpays over the years, and I tend to think about my ideas in visual scenes. It like in D&D. . . some people express their creativity by giving 2,500 words on the history, leadership chain, calander, etc. of a knightly order. Boring. I just want one of them to give a little speech, then fall heroically defending a wall or something. I tend to think in moods, moments, and set pieces. I'm going to read some more books and pay attention to the details, pacing, and so on. . . rereading my own pages, I could tell that I was trying to hard to make a dramatic/emotional impact with every line and every scene. Sometimes, your just describing a rabbit, and that's it, right?

3. I need discipline. Despite my continued zealousness toward writing, I still lack this. This doesn't just involve forcing yourself to start writing, but also knowing when to stop. I still think of this as a footrace, instead of a steady rhythm. The problem is, you will never see a marathon runner go the distance if he starts the race sprinting as fast as he can. This is getting better. . . but I'm still not there yet.

4. Set aside the time. This year, I started NanoWriMo in a months of trips, work, other projects, and a ton of distractions. Next year, I will make sure my slate is clean before I start.

Even in failure, I enjoyed the process. It was my first attempt at writing that much prose in one work. I am still proud of myself for trying, and I know what I need to do to get 'em next year. In the meantime, I'm still working on everything else, including short stories, and keeping myself busy at the computer screen. A writer writes (and so does a waiter).